Satellite phones are designed to utilize satellites to communicate with cellular, other sat phones, or landlines. They are known to provide coverage globally where cell service is spotty. Sat phones can be used for texting and voice calling. Satellite phones have evolved to integrate internet services. Sat phone costs are available in phone stores where you can buy or rent.
While at remote locations, sat phones are often the only means available to stay connected. Sat phones send a signal to a satellite which then transmits to the earth station. Then the call is routed to a public switched telephone network. Obstructions such as buildings and trees can impact the signal strength and quality of the call. Sat devices lack cutting-edge screens, high-end camera technologies, and application features.
Features of a sat phone
They feature phonebooks, voicemail, text messaging, signal strength, and battery aspects.
Sat devices are made for rugged environments with resistance properties to water, dust, and shock. The satellite phone devices are associated mainly with emergency services, aviation users, adventure travel, maritime users, government operations, and military missions. They also:
- Integrate solar panel for remote recharging of the battery
- Have GPS displays of latitude and longitude
- Encompass GSM compatibility – Sat phones use sim cards
- Have the capability to fax, paging, and data transmission
Importance of owning a sat phone
- Satellite phone models are easy to use. The Sat phone stores provide quick start guides with knowledgeable customer care.
- They are significant during disasters. Emergencies such as earthquakes destroy telephone and electricity lines. Thus, standards cell phones may not help in communication when seeking help.
- They are highly durable and designed with water and dust resistance
- Provide excellent communication in remote regions
Unlike smartphones that depend on cell phone towers, a satellite phone transmits and receives from the satellite. They require a direct line of sight to the satellite. When making communication, it’s recommended to be outside since structures may block the signal.